F1 could make South Africa return: sources


PARIS - Formula One could return to South Africa next season after a hiatus of more than 30 years, F1 sources said Monday.
Formula One's chief executive Stefano Domenicali is visiting the country and the Kyalami circuit, to the north of Johannesburg, this week.
It hosted races between 1967 and 1985 before disappearing from the calendar due to the apartheid regime.
The sources said there is not yet any agreement or confirmation that a race will be held in the Rainbow Nation.
Earlier this season, F1 announced a Grand Prix would be held in Las Vegas next year while races in France and Belgium are yet to be confirmed.
The organisers are planning a record 24 races next year, but that includes a race in China where the Covid-19 pandemic has led to the cancellation of the Shanghai race every year since 2020.
AFP
Most Popular
- Stars align for 30th anniversary of Volvo China Open
- Curry gets hot with 12 3-pointers
- Mission accomplished: Real Madrid reaches Copa final
- Swede strike: Nuno hails 'special' Elanga
- Ovechkin gets closer to Gretzky with goal No 891
- 'Torpedo' bat explodes on to the scene