久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

Crossing carries hopes of Croatia

By CHEN WEIHUA in Brussels | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2022-07-25 22:51
Share
Share - WeChat
Fireworks light up the sky over Croatia's Peljesac Bridge, as viewed from the town of Komarna, on July 29 last year. Celebrations were held to mark a landmark in the bridge's construction. ASSOCIATED PRESS

For Talman Damtare and Ana Vulic, a couple that helped build the Peljesac Bridge linking two parts of Croatia separated by a sliver of Bosnia and Herzegovina, nothing makes them more proud than driving past the structure from a distance with their young daughter.

Damtare, a customs clearance assistant for the project, said he would always point at the majestic bridge and tell his daughter: "Look, that is the bridge mom and dad built with Chinese friends."

Damtare, from Togo in West Africa, and Vulic, a native Croat, have worked on the project for more than three years. They first met in the summer of 2009 in Nanjing in East China's Jiangsu province, when they were students at Nanjing Normal University.

"The project has not only brought family reunion for us, but the good feeling of participating in a great cause. The bridge means so much for everyone in Croatia," said Damtare, referring to the days years ago when he was working in Shanghai while his wife went back to Croatia during her pregnancy.

The 2.4-kilometer-long, 23.6-meter-wide, four-lane bridge was due to officially open to traffic on Tuesday after four years of construction. It was built by the China Road and Bridge Corporation, or CRBC, for whom the couple work.

Croatian Transport and Infrastructure Minister Oleg Butkovic told local media that on the opening day people can come along, from the early morning, to walk across the bridge and be part of the celebrations. The formal opening ceremony will take place in the evening.

The bridge, standing 55 meters above sea level with pylons rising up to 124 meters high, connects the town of Brijesta on the Peljesac Peninsula with the town of Komarna, a construction feat that opens up the peninsula to the rest of the country by road. The structure crosses the Mali Ston Bay over the Adriatic Sea.

"This will facilitate a smooth flow of goods and people, especially at the peak of the tourism season," the European Commission said when approving the spending of 357 million euros ($357 million) from its Cohesion Policy funds for the project in June 2017. The money accounts for 85 percent of the total cost, with the rest covered by Croatia.

The commission also said the bridge "will significantly improve the everyday life of Croatians, through reducing the travel time between Dubrovnik and Split" and "the seamless connection will also greatly benefit tourism, trade and will reinforce the territorial cohesion of the South Dalmatia region with the other part of the country".

The two hot tourist destinations of Split and Dubrovnik are separated by the Neum Corridor, a strip of the Adriatic Sea coastline that is part of Bosnia and Herzegovina and which, until Tuesday, has been the only land-based transport route between Dubrovnik and the rest of mainland Croatia. That has meant people have had to travel about 9 km within Bosnia and Herzegovina and pass the European Union's external border controls twice, a requirement that can cost a few hours in the summer peak tourist season.

Dubrovnik, on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites since 1979, draws more than a million foreign tourists each year not only for its outstanding medieval architecture and fortified old town dating to the 7th century but also as one of the sites for the popular US fantasy drama TV series Game of Thrones.

An earlier feasibility study by Croatia of the possible alternatives to connect the two parts of the country concluded that building a bridge would be the most favorable option when it comes to multiple criteria on safety, the impact on traffic and on the environment as well as in cost-benefit analyses, compared with the other options of a highway corridor, a ferry or a tunnel.

The project was assessed by independent experts before its approval by the European Commission. It was also prepared in consultation with the authorities of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Croatia first started the construction of the Peljesac Bridge in 2007 but the project was halted in 2010 due to serious financial strains.

CRBC began work on the project on July 30, 2018, just three months after it led a Chinese consortium to win the public tendering by Hrvatske Ceste, the state-owned company responsible for Croatia's public roads.

Despite the enormous challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic over the past two and a half years, the Chinese company managed to deliver the bridge as scheduled and on time.

The spans of the bridge were connected on July 28, 2021.

1 2 3 Next   >>|
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 精品欧美一区二区三区免费观看 | 伊人热久久| 久久久国产精品视频 | 欧美日韩在线观看视频 | 怡红院在线观看视频 | 亚洲男人天堂2017 | 国产色手机在线观看播放 | 中文字幕 亚洲 一区二区三区 | 影音先锋色先锋女同另类 | 最近日本免费观看视频 | 毛片日韩 | 国产综合视频在线观看一区 | 日本欧美色 | 久久精品综合免费观看 | 国产成人综合95精品视频免费 | 中文字幕精品在线 | 欧美一级毛片一级 | 亚洲精品亚洲人成在线麻豆 | 狠狠色丁香婷婷综合久久片 | 大量真实偷拍情侣视频野战 | 中文字幕在亚洲第一在线 | 国产午夜毛片一区二区三区 | 中文字幕巨乱亚洲 | 国产精品久久久久久一区二区 | 欧美一区二区三区高清视频 | 2017天天爽夜夜爽精品视频 | 亚洲m男在线中文字幕 | 一区二区三区不卡在线 | 久久精品综合国产二区 | 国产高清免费不卡观看 | 啪啪一级视频 | 国产菲菲视频在线观看 | 性感一级毛片 | 成人观看网站a | 亚洲高清一区二区三区四区 | 加勒比heyzo 加勒比久久综合 | 国内交换一区二区三区 | 韩国精品一区二区三区四区五区 | 亚洲乱人伦在线 | 久久不见久久见免费影院 | 国产欧美日韩精品第二区 |