久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Middle East

Israel's ban on UNRWA sparks outcry

By JAN YUMUL in Hong Kong | China Daily | Updated: 2024-10-30 06:56
Share
Share - WeChat
Children look on inside the UNRWA Siblin Training Centre, where displaced Palestinians, Lebanese and Syrians are being hosted, amid ongoing hostilities between Hezbollah and Israeli forces, near Sidon, Lebanon, October 29, 2024. [Photo/Agencies]

The international community has decried Israel's ban on the United Nations' Palestinian aid agency from operating within Israel and Palestinian areas under Israeli control.

Considered a lifeline for Palestinians, the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East, or UNRWA, which was founded in 1949, has seen its future thrown into jeopardy following the "unprecedented" passing of a law by the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, on Monday, with observers saying the sanction could have far-reaching humanitarian, legal and political implications and set a dangerous precedent.

Antonio Guterres, secretary-general of the UN, said preventing UNRWA from continuing its essential work in the occupied Palestinian territory would have "devastating consequences for the Palestinian refugees", and called on Israel to act consistently with its obligations under the Charter of the UN and international law.

"National legislation cannot alter those obligations. ... There is no alternative to UNRWA," said Guterres.

Palestinian Presidential Spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh rejected and condemned the new Israeli legislation, which he said "aims to liquidate the issue of refugees and their right to return and compensation" and that "we will not allow it".

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said he was "gravely concerned", and the law risks making UNRWA's "essential work for Palestinians impossible, jeopardizing the entire international humanitarian response in Gaza".

Several countries including Australia, Jordan, Ireland, Norway, Slovenia and Spain also condemned the Israeli legislation.

Philippe Lazzarini, commissioner-general of UNRWA, said in a post on social media platform X that the Knesset's vote was the "latest in the ongoing campaign to discredit UNRWA and delegitimize its role towards providing human-development assistance and services to Palestine Refugees".

Common mechanism

"Failing to push back these bills will weaken our common multilateral mechanism established after World War II. This should be a concern to all," he added.

Walaa Sabah, director of operations at We Are Not Numbers in Gaza, a youth-led Palestinian nonprofit, told China Daily the Israeli parliament's move delivers a clear message denying the right of return for Palestinians with refugee status, directly violating the UN charter and international law.

"The UN stands as the primary advocate for refugee rights in Gaza. Without its support, Palestinians in Gaza would lose all humanitarian aid, effectively placing their lives under Israeli government control, and enabling a more systematic and complete erasure of Palestinian identity," said Sabah.

Arie Afriansyah, associate professor at the Faculty of Law at Universitas Indonesia, told China Daily such a policy "will only make clearer" how desperate Israel is to "blame any party".

Israel's justification for the legislation cited past UNRWA staff members for their alleged involvement in the Hamas-led Oct 7 attacks against Israel last year, which killed 1,200 people and took about 240 hostages.

On the battlefield, an Israeli strike on a five-story building where displaced Palestinians were sheltering in the northern Gaza Strip killed at least 60 people early on Tuesday, more than half of them women and children, Gaza's Health Ministry said. Israel's operation has killed more than 43,000 Palestinians, according to the ministry.

In a separate development, Lebanon's militant group Hezbollah said it has chosen Naim Qassem to succeed longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah, who was killed in an Israeli airstrike last month. Hezbollah vowed to continue with Nasrallah's policies "until victory is achieved".

Agencies contributed to this story.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 九九九九在线视频播放 | 天天看有黄有色大片 | 久久久久久尹人网香蕉 | 99精品国产在现线免费 | 真人一级一级特黄高清毛片 | 99免费视频观看 | 欧美午夜性春猛交 | 国产精品久久久久久久久久久久久久 | 亚洲精品福利一区二区三区 | 狠狠色噜噜狠狠狠米奇9999 | 两性色午夜视频免费国产 | 日韩 欧美 自拍 在线 视频 | 欧美色性视频 | 免费一级特黄 欧美大片 | 欧美一级毛片在线看视频 | 经典香港a毛片免费观看 | 国产精品午夜性视频网站 | 欧美成人精品一级高清片 | 亚洲在线国产 | 国产精品久久久久久爽爽爽 | 久久99热精品免费观看k影院 | 91视频综合网 | 日韩免费视频播播 | 国产一级爱做片免费观看 | 欧美 日韩 国产在线 | 亚洲一级片在线播放 | 美女张开腿让男人桶爽免费网站 | 欧美一级片免费在线观看 | 国产特黄特色的大片观看免费视频 | 亚洲欧美日韩久久精品第一区 | 欧美精品一区二区三区免费观看 | 国产黄色美女 | 在线观看黄网视频免费播放 | 亚洲欧美男人天堂 | 免费观看成人久久网免费观看 | 亚洲国产二区三区久久 | 国产精品久久久久久久9999 | 91成人在线免费视频 | 一本色道久久88亚洲综合 | 日韩欧美在线一区二区三区 | 国产成人精品免费视频大全五级 |