China's 2nd aid supplies reach Myanmar


YANGON — The second batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government arrived at Yangon International Airport in Myanmar on Thursday.
The devastating 7.9-magnitude earthquake has claimed 3,085 lives, left 4,715 injured, and 341 people were reported missing, according to the Information Team of Myanmar's State Administration Council on Thursday.
The second batch of aid supplies includes 800 tents, 2,000 blankets, 3,000 boxes of biscuits, 2,000 boxes of mineral water and other urgently needed supplies. These were transported to Yangon from China by a chartered flight.
The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government for earthquake disaster relief arrived in Myanmar on March 31.
Li Ming, spokesman for China International Development Cooperation Agency, said China is willing to continue providing assistance to the people in the disaster-stricken areas based on Myanmar's needs — supporting their efforts to overcome the disaster as soon as possible.
He expressed confidence that with the joint efforts of China and the international community, the people of Myanmar will surely be able to tide over the disaster and rebuild their homes at an early date.
Chinese rescuers were continuing search and rescue operations in Mandalay, and have so far rescued 9 survivors from the rubble.
Due to the persistently high temperatures in the disaster-hit area, with daytime temperatures exceeding 40 C, and the increasing presence of mosquitoes at the operation sites, the China international search and rescue team has taken the lead in carrying out epidemic prevention and disinfection work at team camps and rescue sites.
Temporary ceasefire
On Wednesday, the Office of the Commander-in-Chief of Defense Services of Myanmar said a temporary ceasefire will be in effect from April 2 to April 22, the office said in a statement.
The country is making every effort to continue rescue and reconstruction work, it said.
The statement said that during the temporary ceasefire, ethnic armed organizations and other armed groups must not obstruct or attack civilian transportation routes, harm lives or public property, assault security force camps engaged in safety and law enforcement duties, attack military bases, mobilize or reorganize forces that undermine peace, or carry out any territorial expansion. If such actions are taken, the defense forces will take necessary measures to protect the people.
As of Thursday morning, Myanmar has experienced 66 aftershocks ranging from magnitudes 2.8 to 7.5, according to the country's Department of Meteorology and Hydrology.
The United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric said continuing aftershocks are complicating humanitarian response efforts. In Mandalay City, the quake's epicenter, many people are completely cut off from electricity and running water.
"People affected continue to need urgent healthcare and medical supplies, safe drinking water, food and other critical items," Dujarric said. "Tents and temporary shelter are needed, as well as latrines and other hygiene items, to prevent disease outbreaks."