久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Americas

Thousands of US scientists warn of federal attack on scientific enterprise

By LIA ZHU in San Francisco | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2025-04-04 10:18
Share
Share - WeChat

Research funding cuts, canceled programs, abandoned studies, and young scientists' careers jeopardized — those are the realities that have emerged in the months since US President Donald Trump took office, according to thousands of scientists who have signed open letters warning that the administration is undermining US science and higher education.

"We see real danger in this moment... We are sending this SOS to sound a clear warning: the nation's scientific enterprise is being decimated," says a national open letter signed by nearly 2,000 prominent US scientists, including numerous Nobel Prize winners.

Since taking office, Trump and his team have dramatically altered the country's scientific research infrastructure — cutting funding, terminating grants, defunding laboratories and impeding international scientific collaboration, according to the letter shared on Monday. The funding reductions have forced institutions to pause research, including studies of new disease treatments, dismiss faculty, and halt graduate student enrollment.

In recent weeks, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has suspended consideration of new grant applications and delayed decisions about disease research funding. As of March, NIH funding had decreased by more than $3 billion compared with grants issued during the same period last year — representing an almost 60 percent decline, according to a Washington Post analysis.

Daniel Cox, distinguished professor emeritus of physics at the University of California, Davis, has witnessed the disruptions firsthand.

"A colleague on another University of California campus was supposed to receive the second installment of his NIH R01 award on Feb 1, and it has not arrived. At my home department, the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program was slated to receive renewal funds for this summer, but they were canceled," Cox told China Daily.

His department has hosted this National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded program for decades, through which "many dozens of wonderful young students have passed through and gone on to extraordinary careers", said Cox. Among them are a former student who is now an assistant professor at Yale and another who has become a national leader in fusion energy research.

"This has happened to around a dozen or more programs around the country. This is murdering the hope of young scientists," Cox said. "My daughter's boyfriend, a molecular biology undergraduate hoping to go to graduate school, has put his plans on hold as many of the programs he applied to canceled or limited admissions because of the freezing and cuts to NIH and NSF support. Some programs were forced to rescind offers already made."

Regarding the startup company he co-founded with a colleague, Cox expressed "little confidence that the company can receive any form of Small Business Innovative Research funding in the coming months and years".

Cox is a signatory of another open letter launched by a group of faculty members last month in response to the Trump administration's investigation of 60 universities related to alleged antisemitism and other civil rights violations. This letter has collected almost 4,000 signatures from faculty at more than 375 institutions.

"The Trump administration is weaponizing these legitimate investigations as a pretext for an unprecedented federal attack on higher education. The administration's recent actions — including its letter to Columbia University's Board of Trustees and its illegal detention and threatened deportation of a student green card holder who has not been charged with a crime — go far beyond enforcing civil rights law," the letter states.

Columbia University was recently informed that $400 million in federal funding would be withheld unless it adopted disciplinary policies and disabled an academic department targeted by the administration.

Last week, more than 600 faculty members at Harvard University signed a letter to the university's governing boards urging the university to publicly condemn federal attacks on universities and defy orders that interfere with its independence. The letter followed shortly after Columbia University made broad concessions to the Trump administration.

"Research universities are an American crown jewel, a way to network internationally through peaceful scientific collaborations, and the Trump administration is deliberately trying to break them," said Cox.

He viewed the suspension of previously approved grant funding to institutions such as Columbia as potentially unlawful government overreach to exert control over university operations.

Monday's open letter also warns that "destabilizing dozens of universities will endanger higher education — and the research those institutions conduct". It accuses the Trump administration of "using executive orders and financial threats to manipulate which studies are funded or published" and "blocking research on topics it finds objectionable, such as climate change, or that yields results it does not like, on topics ranging from vaccine safety to economic trends".

As a result, "a climate of fear has descended on the research community", the letter states. Researchers, fearing loss of funding or job security, are abandoning studies, removing their names from work, or eliminating scientifically accurate terms from papers and grant proposals that federal agencies have identified as problematic.

"These drastic actions in just over two full months of the second Trump administration will have dramatic repercussions for years if they are not reversed soon," warned Cox.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久99久久精品久久久久久 | 天天爽夜夜操 | 一级aaa级毛片午夜在线播放 | 国产一区精品在线 | 日韩 国产 欧美 精品 在线 | 日韩在线观看中文字幕 | 模特精品一区二区三区 | 国产成人免费片在线观看 | 免费午夜扒丝袜www在线看 | 色欧美在线 | 国产亚洲男人的天堂在线观看 | 亚洲美女在线播放 | tubesexvideo日本护士 | 亚洲精品在线免费观看视频 | 国产亚洲欧美成人久久片 | 91原创视频在线观看 | 亚洲精品一区二区三区不卡 | 免费观看欧美一级高清 | 国产在线观看精品香蕉v区 国产在线观看免费人成小说 | 国产精品分类视频分类一区 | 国产精品久久久久久久久久直 | 一区二区中文字幕在线观看 | 高清在线亚洲精品国产二区 | 看全色黄大色黄大片毛片 | 99视频有精品 | 美女张开腿黄网站免费 | 精品午夜寂寞影院在线观看 | 97在线视频免费播放 | 丝袜精品 欧美 亚洲 自拍 | 手机日韩理论片在线播放 | 久久99毛片免费观看不卡 | 伊人婷婷色香五月综合缴激情 | 色一欲一性一乱一区二区三区 | 欧洲成人全免费视频网站 | 中国美女隐私无遮挡免费视频 | 一级特黄特黄的大片免费 | 97影院理论在线观看 | 99精品视频一区在线视频免费观看 | 国产精品视频久久久久久 | 久久香蕉国产线看观看式 | 91精品自在拍精选久久 |