久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Home / World

UN told up to 500 killed in South Sudan

By Agencies in Juba, South Sudan | China Daily | Updated: 2013-12-19 08:28

The United Nations received reports from local sources in South Sudan on Tuesday that hundreds of people had been killed and wounded in the latest violence, and the government said it had arrested 10 politicians in connection with a "foiled coup".

"Two hospitals have recorded between 400 and 500 dead and (up to) 800 wounded," a diplomat in New York said on condition of anonymity, citing an estimate UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous gave during a closed-door briefing for the 15-member body.

Another diplomat confirmed Ladsous' remarks, adding that the UN was not in a position to verify the figures.

Earlier on Tuesday, a South Sudanese health ministry official said that at least 26 people were dead after fighting in Juba between rival groups of soldiers from Sunday night into Monday morning. Sporadic gunfire and blasts continued up to Tuesday evening.

The government said it had arrested 10 major political figures and was hunting for its former vice-president, accusing him of leading a failed coup in the oil-producing country's capital, where gunfire rang out for a second day.

The prominence of the names, including former finance minister Kosti Manibe among those who had been detained, underlined the size of the rift in Africa's newest state, less than two and a half years after it seceded from Sudan.

The United States said on Wednesday that it will start evacuating non-essential embassy staff and citizens from the country immediately, and that it was suspending normal operations at its embassy.

Plagued by ethic rifts

White House National Security Adviser Susan Rice in a post on Twitter said she was "Deeply, deeply concerned by violence in South Sudan", and the White House said US President Barack Obama was getting briefings on the situation.

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir said on Monday that forces loyal to former vice-president Riek Machar, whom he sacked in July, had attacked an army base in a bid to seize power.

But Machar denied such accusations in a statement on Wednesday.

"What took place in Juba was a misunderstanding between presidential guards within their division; it was not a coup attempt," Machar said in his first public comments since intense fighting broke out on Sunday.

South Sudan is one of the poorest and least developed countries in Africa despite its oil reserves, and it is plagued by ethnic fighting.

Around 16,000 people had taken refuge in UN compounds in Juba by noon on Tuesday, and the numbers were rising, the UN said.

Reuters-AP-AFP

 UN told up to 500 killed in South Sudan

A family arrives at the United Nations compound on the outskirts of Juba, capital of South Sudan, on Tuesday. Hakim George / Reuters

(China Daily 12/19/2013 page11)

Today's Top News

Editor's picks

Most Viewed

Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲免费人成在线视频观看 | 久久国产精品成人免费 | 在线免费观看毛片网站 | 日日撸夜夜操 | 一色屋精品亚洲香蕉网站 | 亚洲精品98久久久久久中文字幕 | 国产精品久久久久一区二区三区 | 欧美第一精品 | a级一级毛片 | 久久香蕉国产线看观看亚洲片 | 爽爽日本在线视频免费 | 日韩美女强理论片 | 日韩成人免费在线 | 看一级特黄a大片国产 | 日本三级11k影院在线 | 亚洲精品久久久久久久久久久网站 | 末满18以下勿进色禁网站 | 欧美激情欧美狂野欧美精品免费 | 欧美成人第一页 | 国产不卡在线视频 | 成人av手机在线观看 | 国产精品成人亚洲 | 91精品人成在线观看 | 一级片视频免费看 | 古代级a毛片可以免费看 | 亚洲国产成人久久三区 | 综合欧美日韩一区二区三区 | 国产欧美日韩在线不卡第一页 | 美女日韩在线观看视频 | 日韩一级欧美一级 | 澳门一级毛片手机在线看 | 亚洲情a成黄在线观看 | 久久久精品免费热线观看 | 久久午夜影院 | 怡红院视频网 | 国产亚洲精品线观看77 | 精品国产自在在线在线观看 | 99视频精品在线 | 亚洲精品欧美精品国产精品 | 91探花福利精品国产自产在线 | 久久国产精品1区2区3区网页 |