久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Home / World

Troops prepare for Mosul assault

By Associated Press in Hamamalalil, Iraq | China Daily | Updated: 2017-02-20 08:13

Jets strike IS positions in west of city as fears grow for civilians

Iraqi forces launched a large-scale military operation on Sunday to dislodge Islamic State militants from the western half of Mosul city, a battle that is expected to be prolonged and difficult due to a densely packed civilian population and narrower streets.

In a televised speech on state TV, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the start of the operation, saying the government forces were moving to "liberate the people of Mosul from Daesh oppression and terrorism forever", using the Arabic acronym for IS.

Al-Abadi called on security forces to deal with civilians properly and respect human rights.

Plumes of smoke were seen rising into the sky early Sunday morning as United States-led coalition jets struck militant positions southwest of Mosul and militarized police fired artillery toward the city. Heavily armed police units were getting ready to move north with their armored vehicles from a base just southwest of the city.

Troops prepare for Mosul assault

"This is zero hour and we are going to end this war, God willing," said Mahmoud Mansour, a police officer, as he prepared to move out.

The immediate objective of the operation was to take the villages on the southern outskirts of Mosul airport, a police spokesman said. The officer spoke on condition of anonymity in line with standard procedures.

Police units quickly moved into the village of Athba about 5 kilometers southwest of the city's airport, encountering only light resistance, according to a reporter on the scene. Separately, the army's 9th armored division moved into the village of Bakhira, also southwest of the city, the Iraqi Ministry of Defense said.

Shortly after the announcement, the United Nations warned that hundreds of thousands of civilians trapped inside their houses "are at extreme risk" with dwindling fuel and food supplies and scare drinking water and electricity.

"The situation is distressing. People, right now, are in trouble," Lise Grande, humanitarian coordinator for Iraq, said in a statement. "We are hearing reports of parents struggling to feed their children and to heat their homes," Grande said.

Citing informants from inside the western side, the UN said nearly half of all food shops were closed and bakeries had shut down due to a lack of fuel and an inability to purchase costly flour. Prices of kerosene and cooking gas have skyrocketed and many of the most destitute families are burning wood, furniture, plastic or garbage for cooking and heating.

"Children and their families are starting to face critical shortages of safe drinking water," Peter Hawkins, UNICEF representative in Iraq, was quoted as saying in the statement. "Three out of five people now depend on untreated water from wells for cooking and drinking as water systems and treatment plants have been damaged by fighting or run out of chlorine."

The humanitarian agencies were gearing up to aid 250,000 to 400,000 civilians who may flee due to fighting, the statement said. The UN estimates that about 750,000 civilians may be left in western Mosul.

The Commander of Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve, Lieutenant General Stephen Townsend, hailed the Iraqi forces in a statement as an "increasingly capable, formidable, and professional force."

"Mosul would be a tough fight for any army in the world, and the Iraqi forces have risen to the challenge," said Townsend. "They have taken the fight to the enemy and sacrificed their blood for the people of Iraq and the rest of the world."

Eastern Mosul was retaken from IS by Iraqi forces last month, but the west of the city remains in the hands of the extremists.

Iraqi special operations forces, regular army and federal police units are taking part in the offensive along with government-sanctioned paramilitary forces.

 Troops prepare for Mosul assault

Members of the Iraqi rapid response forces fire a missile toward Islamic State militants during a battle in the south of Mosul, Iraq on Sunday.Khalid Almousily / Reuters

(China Daily 02/20/2017 page11)

Today's Top News

Editor's picks

Most Viewed

Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 美国毛片网站 | 亚洲天堂精品在线观看 | 欧美高清视频一区 | 深夜福利视频大全在线观看 | www.日本高清 | 看全色黄大色黄大片女图片 | 美女黄网站视频 | 国产日韩久久久精品影院首页 | 色偷偷成人网免费视频男人的天堂 | 成人国产网站v片免费观看 成人国产午夜在线视频 | 男女午夜性爽快免费视频不卡 | 成人在线不卡视频 | 91视频国内| 久久这里只有精品免费播放 | 久久久久久久99精品免费观看 | 丁香狠狠色婷婷久久综合 | 国产成人精品高清不卡在线 | 国产三级国产精品国产国在线观看 | 午夜看片网站 | 色综合久久久久久 | 夜色福利久久久久久777777 | 97超级碰碰碰碰在线视频 | 爽爽爽爽爽爽a成人免费视频 | 综合亚洲精品一区二区三区 | 奇米第四狠狠777高清秒播 | 久草草视频在线观看免费高清 | 亚洲综合日韩欧美一区二区三 | 国产成人午夜福在线观看 | 香港三级日本三级人妇网站 | 免费人成年短视频在线观看免费网站 | 亚洲网址在线观看 | 夜色成人性y | 在线视频99 | 欧美做爰xxxⅹ性欧 欧美做爰免费大片在线观看 | 国产亚洲综合精品一区二区三区 | 99久久精品免费看国产免费 | 成人 在线欧美亚洲 | 欧美亚洲综合另类在线观看 | 色欧美与xxxxx| 九九黄色影院 | 久久五月女厕所一区二区 |