久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / World

WHO misses its targets of controlling Ebola spread

By Associated Press in London | China Daily | Updated: 2014-12-02 07:49

Failure marks another setback in efforts to curb deadly disease

Two months ago, the World Health Organization launched an ambitious plan to stop the deadly Ebola outbreak in West Africa, aiming to isolate 70 percent of the sick and safely bury 70 percent of the victims in the three hardest-hit countries - Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone - by Monday.

Only Guinea was on track to meet the goal, according to an update from WHO.

In Liberia, only 23 percent of cases are isolated and 26 percent of the needed burial teams are in place. In Sierra Leone, about 40 percent of cases are isolated while 27 percent of burial teams are operational.

With the target date falling on Monday, WHO's goals almost certainly were missed, marking another failure in attempts to slow the biggest outbreak of the deadly disease. The Ebola outbreak was first reported in Guinea in March and spiraled out of control after being declared a public health emergency in August.

The WHO's Dr Bruce Aylward acknowledged in October that to reach the Dec 1 goal would be "really pushing the system hard".

"If we don't do it in 60 days and we take 90 days: No 1, a lot more people will die that shouldn't; and No 2, we will need that much more capacity on the ground to be able to manage the caseload," said Aylward, who is directing the WHO's Ebola response.

In recent weeks, there have been some successes in curbing Ebola; cases seem to be declining or stabilizing in Liberia and Guinea. But the area around Sierra Leone's capital and a district in the country's north are seeing a severe surge in cases.

The Dec 1 targets had been met in many places - but not all, which was the goal, said Anthony Banbury, who is heading the UN's Ebola response.

"There are still going to be many people who catch the disease and many people who die from it," Banbury said.

Even if the Dec 1 targets had been reached, WHO and others had predicted Ebola would continue sickening people in West Africa and possibly elsewhere until sometime next year. Ebola has sickened more than 16,000 people, of whom nearly 7,000 have died, according to figures released by the WHO on Friday.

Failing to reach the Dec 1 target now suggests Ebola will spread even further as capacities to respond become even more stretched, according to Oyewale Tomori, of Redeemer's University in Nigeria, who sits on WHO's Emergency Ebola committee.

"We need to redouble our efforts to see what we can do to reduce the spread and catch up with the virus," he said. "Right now, it doesn't look good."

Other experts said the WHO goals were never very significant.

"You want to isolate 100 percent of patients with Ebola and have 100 percent safe burials," said Sebastian Funk, director of the Center for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. "Getting to 70 percent doesn't really mean a lot."

The ultimate goal of WHO's plan is to isolate all Ebola patients and provide safe burials for all by Jan 1.

"We hope that what we're seeing in Liberia will continue, but unfortunately what can happen with Ebola is that it can go to new countries, as it has already to Mali," warned Dr David Heymann, an Ebola expert who previously worked for the WHO.

Editor's picks
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 一区二区三区四区在线播放 | 91青草久久久久久清纯 | 大陆孕妇孕交视频自拍 | 手机看片在线播放 | 4455永久在线毛片观看 | 国产精品夜色视频一级区 | 欧美日韩一区二区三区在线播放 | 免费在线观看亚洲 | 欧美粗又大gay69视频 | 亚洲一区二区三区免费 | 真实国产乱人伦在线视频播放 | 青青视频国产依人在线 | 日a在线| 经典三级在线视频 | 久久国产精品-久久精品 | 日本成a人片在线观看网址 日本成年人视频网站 | 国产一级特黄a大片99 | 国产伦精一区二区三区 | 欧美黄a| 日韩字幕一中文在线综合 | 在线国产毛片 | 久久韩国| 女人把腿劈开让男人桶的网站 | 一级做a爰 | 亚洲欧美人妖另类激情综合区 | 日本在线观看www免费 | 日本三级香港三级人妇gg在线 | 国产成人一区二区在线不卡 | 国产麻豆福利a v在线播放 | 99r精品在线| 欧美日韩亚洲综合另类ac | 亚洲欧美精品中字久久99 | 成人免费观看高清在线毛片 | 一级毛片免费观看不卡视频 | 国产v片成人影院在线观看 国产v片在线播放免费观 | 日本道色 | 一级爱做片免费观看久久 | 热re91久久精品国产91热 | 老头老太做爰xxx视频 | 2022国产91精品久久久久久 | 香蕉国产人午夜视频在线 |