久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / World

UAE takes 5 Yemenis from Guantanamo

By Agencies in Washington | China Daily | Updated: 2015-11-17 07:56

 UAE takes 5 Yemenis from Guantanamo

A guard patrols a cellblock inside Camp V, a prison used to house detainees at Guantanamo Bay US Naval Base in Cuba. Bob Strong / Reuters

The United States has transferred five detainees from Guantanamo Bay to the United Arab Emirates, the Pentagon said on Sunday, another step in a long-delayed plan to close the controversial military prison.

The move means that 107 detainees remain at Guantanamo Bay, the Pentagon said in a statement, adding that it was "grateful to the government of the United Arab Emirates for its willingness to support ongoing US efforts to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility".

The men were "lower-level" Yemeni detainees and each had been held for nearly 14 years without charge, The New York Times said.

The UAE had previously taken in just one former Guantanamo detainee - a citizen of its own - in 2008.

The United States opened Guantanamo to hold terror suspects following the Sept 11, 2001, attacks, and photos of shackled men in orange jumpsuits became a defining image of US foreign policy in the early 2000s.

Inmates were called "enemy combatants" and denied standard US legal rights, meaning many were held for years without charge or trial.

The Guantanamo population has dwindled, and prisoners no longer deemed a risk have either been repatriated or sent to a host country.

The Guantanamo prison costs the US taxpayer around $400 million to $450 million annually.

"We coordinated with the UAE government to ensure these transfers took place consistent with appropriate security and humane treatment measures," the Pentagon added, saying the five had been cleared for transfer after thorough security reviews.

Back to battlefield

Some figures have estimated that up to 30 percent return to militant groups with the aim of carrying out attacks on Western targets.

But a US official said that figure includes both confirmed and suspected cases. He said 16 percent of freed inmates were confirmed to have returned to the battlefield, while 12 percent are suspected of having done so.

The latest transfers come with the Pentagon poised to release a much-anticipated report on shutting down Guantanamo Bay, even as Congress battles to block the transfer of the military prison inmates from eastern Cuba to US soil.

AFP - AP - Reuters

Editor's picks
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩欧美国产一区二区三区 | 久久精品国产午夜伦班片 | 国产精品久久久久久久9999 | 成人二区 | 亚洲欧美视频一级 | 国产大片中文字幕在线观看 | 92自拍视频| 蜜臀91精品国产高清在线观看 | 性生活视频网 | 欧美一级久久久久久久久大 | 国产一区二区在线不卡 | 久久99国产精品 | 又黄又湿又爽吸乳视频 | 久久综合伊人77777 | 91九色首页 | 一级特黄特色的免费大片视频 | 爱呦视频在线播放网址 | 视频一区 欧美 | 成人免费黄色网址 | 免费精品国产日韩热久久 | 97精品在线视频 | 国产成人免费在线观看 | 久草在线视频精品 | 一区二区三区免费 | 久久国产精品成人免费 | 日本黄页网站免费大全 | 一国产一级淫片a免费播放口 | 国产精品正在播放 | 欧美日韩一区二区视频免费看 | 久久99精品综合国产首页 | 国产免费播放一区二区 | 在线免费视频 | 精品国产97在线观看 | 亚洲激情黄色 | 亚洲高清国产品国语在线观看 | 手机在线视频一区 | 99精品视频在线观看免费播放 | 久久久久依人综合影院 | 欧美手机视频 | 日韩国产欧美一区二区三区在线 | 国产成人高清亚洲一区91 |