久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
China / Sports

Cakewalks for Djokovic, Federer

(China Daily) Updated: 2017-07-06 07:33

Injury retirements allow second and third seeds to easily advance

LONDON - Novak Djokovic's first-round match at Wimbledon lasted all of 40 minutes Tuesday.

Roger Federer's, which was next in the All England Club's main stadium, went 43.

When two of the game's biggest stars crossed paths after both advanced when opponents stopped playing because of pre-existing injuries, they kidded each other about a way to try to make it up to the fans.

 Cakewalks for Djokovic, Federer

Novak Djokovic returns to Martin Klizan during their 40-minute first-round match at the Wimbledon on Tuesday. Alastair Grant / AP

"We had a little joke about it in the locker room, saying we should maybe play a practice set on the Centre Court, have the crowd stay to watch," Djokovic said.

The short workdays for the two were quite similar.

Djokovic led 6-3, 2-0 when Martin Klizan retired with a left leg problem that has bothered him for about two months; Federer was ahead 6-3, 3-0 when Alexandr Dolgopolov quit because of a painful right ankle he first twisted last month.

Those still go into the books as wins, allowing Federer to collect his 85th at Wimbledon, breaking a tie with Jimmy Connors for the most in the Open era.

Djokovic picked up his 234th match victory at all majors, moving ahead of Connors and alone into second place in history, behind only Federer's 315.

But the way the afternoon went meant Centre Court spectators who paid more than $70 per ticket, some of them waiting in line for hours, got only brief glimpses of seven-time champion Federer or three-time champion Djokovic.

They did, however, have the opportunity to watch a pair of top women, current No 1 Angelique Kerber and former No 1 Caroline Wozniacki, win full-length matches.

"I feel for the crowd. They're here to watch good tennis. Proper tennis. At least they see the two of us, who gave it all we had. They saw other players that tried, at least," Federer said. "It's unfortunate that it happened."

Two other men also quit mid-match Tuesday, 19th-seeded Feliciano Lopez (left foot) and Janko Tipsarevic (right leg), bringing the first-round retirement total to seven. That equals 2008 for the most by men in the first round during the 50 editions of Wimbledon in the Open era.

It sparked discussion about whether Grand Slam tournaments should change their rules to allow players to still receive prize money if they withdraw before an event.

That's a system being employed on a trial basis this season on the ATP Tour - which doesn't run majors - and lets someone who lost in qualifying take the spot in the main draw of an injured player.

The theory is that players who are injured won't step on court simply to collect their prize money as an entrant, before calling it a day without finishing the match.

"Even if I had a torn muscle today, and the doctor says, 'You shouldn't go on court, you have serious damage to risk,' I could have faked it, stayed there for two less games, and still picked up the paycheck," said Tipsarevic, who stopped while trailing 5-0 after only 12 minutes against Jared Donaldson of the US.

A first-round loser at Wimbledon earns about $45,000.

"Unless you're in the top 10 ... it's significant money," said Dolgopolov, who is ranked 84th.

Tipsarevic, Dolgopolov, Djokovic and Federer all said they would like to see the majors follow the ATP's lead.

"A player should not go on court if he knows he (can) not finish. The question is: Did they truly believe they were going to finish? If they did, I think it's OK that they walk on court. Otherwise, I feel they should give up the spot," Federer said.

"The ATP has adjusted its rule, but maybe the Slams should look at what they could do for the players to make it just a little bit easier."

Kerber, last year's runner-up to Serena Williams at the All England Club, had to work to get past Irina Falconi of the US 6-4, 6-4, and Wozniacki, a two-time U.S. Open finalist, needed three full sets to edge Timea Babos 6-4, 4-6, 6-1.

But it was the short men's matches that had everyone talking.

"If it's just excruciating pain, OK, you can't play," said 23rd-seeded John Isner, who beat Taylor Fritz 6-4, 7-6 (3), 6-3 in an all-American matchup on Court 14.

"But if something is tweaked here or there and you feel like you can give it a decent go without hurting yourself, I think they should stay out there and I think you owe it to the fans.

"I know the fans at Centre Court didn't get their money's worth today, that's for sure."

Collette Sherratt, 54, a spectator who traveled from Manchester, England, to attend the tournament for the first time, sure felt that way.

"I've been watching Wimbledon on T) for 42 years, and it's been on my bucket list to come here," Sherratt said.

"I was absolutely thrilled that I was going to be at Centre Court, and then for that to happen, it was like, 'I might never get the chance to come here again.'

"It's a bit disappointing."

Associated Press

Highlights
Hot Topics

...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 一级毛片在线免费视频 | 成年免费网站 | 国产99久久九九精品免费 | 亚洲一区免费在线 | 成人一区二区免费中文字幕 | 欧美精品免费看 | 老鸭窝 国产 精品 91 | 一级午夜a毛片免费视频 | 久久精品国产影库免费看 | 国产精品视频视频久久 | 一区二区影视 | 在线欧美国产 | 波多野结衣中文无毒不卡 | 欧美69free性videos| 国产精品免费一区二区三区四区 | 亚洲视频在线一区 | 国产老鸭窝毛片一区二区 | 国产成人精品亚洲777图片 | 老头巨大粗长xxxxx | 国产主播精品福利19禁vip | 亚洲综合一二三区 | 亚洲国产天堂久久综合网站 | 日本一区二区在线 | 久草在线视频免费资源观看 | 欧美日一区 | 成 人 黄 色 视频播放16 | 成人毛片免费播放 | 日本一级在线播放线观看免 | 久久久黄色大片 | 成人免费毛片一区二区三区 | 欧美高清一级片 | 美女叉开腿让男人捅 | 欧美特黄aaaaaa | a级一片| 久视频在线观看 | 99精品国产在热久久 | 最新怡红院全部视频在线 | 九九在线精品视频播放 | 欧美老熟妇bbbb毛片 | 日韩欧美一级毛片精品6 | 日日a.v拍夜夜添久久免费 |