久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
Sports / Tennis

Peng missing Li Na at Open

By Agencies in New York (China Daily) Updated: 2014-08-29 07:17

Under-pressure Chinese veteran prefers to fly under radar

Peng Shuai admits she feels the huge burden of Chinese expectations in the absence of superstar Li Na after stunning Polish fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska at the US Open on Wednesday.

The 28-year-old, ranked 39, clinched a shock 6-3, 6-4 win for a fourth career victory over a top five player but the first at a Grand Slam.

 Peng missing Li Na at Open

Peng Shuai celebrates after defeating No 4 seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the US Open second round on Wednesday. Mike Segar / Reuters

The win immediately swung the spotlight on the softly-spoken Tianjin native after world No 3 compatriot Li, the Australian Open champion and 2011 French Open winner, was forced to skip the tournament with a knee injury.

"I prefer to have Li Na here. They (Chinese fans) didn't watch me ... now there is more pressure. It's not easy to handle that. I just want to focus and enjoy my tennis," said Peng, who said that at least having five other Chinese in the main draw helped ease the burden.

"When they say Li's not going to play Montreal, Cincinnati and also the US Open, it was big news. But this year is one of the best with six Chinese girls in the main draw."

Of those six, three remain with Peng in the last 32 while qualifiers Wang Qiang and Zheng Saisai have made the second round.

Wednesday's win was a repeat of Peng's defeat of Radwanska, the champion in Montreal in the run-up to the tournament, at the same stage in New York in 2010, her only triumph in four meetings with the Pole.

Peng also wiped out the misery of her most recent clash against Radwanska when she squandered two match points in losing their fourth-round encounter at the 2011 Australian Open.

Peng, who has reached six singles finals in her career but has yet to lift a title, said she had been inspired by Li to keep playing despite twice being tempted to call a halt to her career.

"I have learned a lot from Li. She is one of the best players in the world. Now I will try to keep going.

"There is still a lot of work to do but I want to keep enjoying my tennis."

Despite her admiration for her compatriot, Peng has already achieved something that Li has not.

In February she became the first Chinese player to reach No 1 in the world when she went top of the doubles charts thanks to her success with Chinese Taipei partner Hsieh Su-wei.

Peng sent down 28 winners on Wednesday in a grueling clash in the Louis Armstrong Stadium which featured a series of brutal flat-hitting rallies in temperatures bursting through the 30 C barrier.

"Radwanska is a tough player. I had to do a lot of running, but I fought," said Peng who took victory on a third match point.

"I wanted to make it this time. I had two match points against her in 2011 in Australia and lost. This is just amazing."

As Peng goes on to face Italian 12th seed Roberta Vinci for a place in the last 16, Radwanska was forced to contemplate another disappointing US Open.

The Wimbledon runner-up in 2012 has reached at least the quarterfinals at the All England Club and Australian and French Opens.

But the 25-year-old has still yet to get beyond the fourth round in New York despite nine attempts.

"Peng is a very solid player, very consistent from both sides, playing very good from the back. Very consistent," said Radwanska.

"In the important moments I think she was just playing a little bit better," she said.

Holes in resume

Long before Li, the current world No 3, left her mark on women's tennis by becoming China's first Grand Slam champion, Peng was blazing new trails as the first woman from her country to reach the semifinals of a Tier One event in 2005

There are, however, still holes in Peng's resume that she would like to fill, most importantly a first WTA Tour singles title.

She has been on the verge of a long-awaited breakthrough with six runner-up finishes, including in Shenzhen this year when she lost to Li.

Even now, in the twilight of a ground-breaking career, Peng says she continues to learn new things and fine tune her game.

The Chinese, who entered the contest 3-22 lifetime against top-five opponents, was masterful in turning key points and won three of five break points against Radwanska, who had been in superb hard-court form after winning in Montreal.

"Actually my tennis career is a little bit up and down," said Peng, the third-ranked Chinese woman behind Li and Zhang Shuai.

"I have two times almost stopped playing, so it's really lucky I'm still here.

"With (every) top player I play, I learn. Their tennis maybe is different. Some like to really power and like today, Radwanska, she's really smart, you know, (she) plays the angles all different.

"I want to learn how I can be there. On the Tour everybody likes to play their best.

"I thought that in the match (today) when the chances came, I knew how to take them."

(China Daily 08/29/2014 page24)

Most Popular
What's Hot
Highlights
Special
...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲高清视频在线观看 | www.99在线 | 久久久亚洲天堂 | 日韩亚洲欧美理论片 | 国产成人精品午夜 | 韩国精品一区二区三区四区五区 | 三级亚洲| 国产精品免费看久久久香蕉 | 亚洲 欧美 91| 国产日韩欧美另类 | 久久欧美 | 中国美女隐私无遮挡免费视频 | 寡妇一级毛片 | 日韩国产欧美一区二区三区 | 九九99久麻豆精品视传媒 | 久草草视频在线观看免费高清 | 午夜精品久视频在线观看 | 中文字幕99在线精品视频免费看 | 一区二区三区久久精品 | 精品国产福利 | 亚洲国产一区在线精选 | 国产色司机在线视频免费观看 | 亚洲系列国产系列 | 日本高清色本免费现在观看 | a一级免费 | 国产在线一区二区三区在线 | 成人欧美视频 | 国产真实乱系列2孕妇 | 日本久久久久 | 黄视频欧美 | 成人免费毛片网站 | 精品国语_高清国语自产 | 久久99热只有视精品6国产 | 亚洲一区二区三区成人 | 全黄a一级毛片 | 国产精品久久国产精品99 | 日韩美女一区 | a毛片成人免费全部播放 | 免费观看大片毛片 | 久久有精品 | 欧美午夜不卡在线观看最新 |