久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Sports
Home / Sports / Tennis

Resting Roger tempers Rafa's return to top

China Daily | Updated: 2017-08-16 08:52

Federer's absence from Cincy lifts Nadal to No 1 spot

CINCINNATI - Rafael Nadal was thrilled on Monday to learn he is returning to world No 1 for the first time in three years - but he was sorry it came because Roger Federer withdrew from this week's ATP Cincinnati Masters tournament.

Third-ranked Federer said he injured his back in Montreal, where he lost Sunday's final to Germany's Alexander Zverev in a key hardcourt tuneup for the US Open.

Federer, this year's Wimbledon and Australian Open champion, was the only player who could have denied second-ranked French Open champion Nadal the top spot in next week's rankings.

"For me to be in that position is something very special," Nadal said. "I have the passion and love for the game. That's why I'm able to be back in that position again."

It's the first time Nadal has topped the rankings since July 2014.

The 31-year-old Spaniard, who won his 15th Grand Slam title this year at the French Open, will replace Andy Murray, who withdrew from Montreal and Cincinnati with a hip injury.

Nadal, who has previously spent 141 total weeks at the top, has struggled with knee injuries since first becoming world No 1 in August 2008 after a Cincinnati semifinal run. He admitted doubting he could ever become No 1 again after so many years.

"If you don't have doubts, it's because you are very arrogant and I'm not very arrogant," Nadal said. "There's a young generation up and coming. It's very tough to come back and be No 1."

Nadal knows that while he will claim the upper hand no matter how he fares this week, the year's final Grand Slam event starting in New York on Aug 28 will have a major role to play in the fight with Federer for No 1.

"Roger and I are having great seasons," Nadal said.

"One of us will have the chance to have that position for more weeks. I'm going to try to do my best this week and see what happens."

Federer, a seven-time champion on the Cincinnati hardcourts, apologized but said he needed to rest with the US Open so near.

"I am very sorry to pull out of the Western and Southern Open as I always enjoy playing," Federer said.

"Cincinnati has some of the best fans in the world and I am sorry I will miss them. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back in Montreal and I need to rest this week."

Federer was replaced in the draw by Italian 85th-ranked lucky loser Thomas Fabbiano, who will enjoy a firstround bye.

Nadal said he was sorry to see Federer join the list of players absent this week, which includes Murray, Serbia's Novak Djokovic, Japan's Kei Nishikori and Swiss Stan Wawrinka.

"It's bad news for Roger he's not playing," Nadal said. "I'm sorry for all of them. I hope they have good recovery.

"We need to see them back for the good of the sport."

Nadal has been forced to alter training and event schedules more as he has gotten older.

"Of course we're not 20 years old any more. We're not playing all the weeks. That's part of the sport. I skip many more events than the rest of my competitors."

Zverev vaunted

Nadal, ousted in the third round last week at Montreal, praised Zverev, who won his fifth ATP title at Montreal on Sunday and swapped spots with Austrian Dominic Thiem to reach a career-high No 7 in this week's rankings.

"You are talking about an unbelievable player. And Dominic is right there too," Nadal said, declining to offer either advice.

"Better not. I cannot give much advice. Everybody has to learn from their own mistakes.

"You need to do your own way and experience it for yourself."

Agence France-presse

(China Daily 08/16/2017 page23)

Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美视频在线观看免费精品欧美视频 | 久久精品成人一区二区三区 | 最近中文在线中文 | www.黄色片| bt天堂午夜国产精品 | 色悠久久久久综合网伊人男男 | 欧美偷拍小视频 | 九九精彩视频在线观看视频 | 欧美经典成人在观看线视频 | 久污| 国产精品亚洲一区二区三区在线观看 | 欧美毛片在线 | 久久最新免费视频 | 欧美成人精品一级高清片 | 欧美一级毛片无遮挡 | 日本午夜人成免费视频 | 欧美在线一区二区 | 久久91av | 欧美中文字幕在线看 | 午夜性福利 | 失禁h啪肉尿出来高h健身房 | 欧美三级成版人版在线观看 | 国产成人高清亚洲一区91 | 91小视频在线观看免费版高清 | 一个人看的日本免费视频 | 日韩国产欧美一区二区三区在线 | 国产精品免费一区二区三区 | 免费国产一级特黄久久 | 国产在线观看xxxx免费 | 日本免费人成在线网站 | 国产最新精品 | 毛片在线观看视频 | 亚洲国产三级在线观看 | 国产精品情人露脸在线观看 | 男女视频免费在线观看 | 久久精品视频免费 | 波多野结衣在线播放视频 | 成人欧美精品大91在线 | 日韩人成 | 久久国产精品自线拍免费 | 精品一区二区三区三区 |