久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Africa

Israeli envoy leaves after Cairo embassy attack

Agencies | Updated: 2011-09-10 13:02

Israeli envoy leaves after Cairo embassy attack

Protesters knock down a concrete wall built in front of the Israeli embassy in Cairo Sept 9, 2011.  [Photo/Agencies]


CAIRO - Israel flew its ambassador home from Cairo on Saturday after protesters stormed its embassy building, plunging Egypt's military rulers into their worst diplomatic crisis since they took over from Hosni Mubarak.

Three people were killed and 1,049 wounded in clashes between protesters and police, the Health Ministry said.

The United States, which has poured billions of dollars of military aid into Egypt since it made peace with Israel in 1979, urged Cairo to protect the embassy after protesters hurled embassy documents and the Israeli flag from windows.

"Our dignity has been restored," said Mohi Alaa, 24, a protester who was speaking near the site of overnight clashes with police around the building that houses the Israeli embassy. Bits of concrete and bullet casings were strewn over the street.

"We don't want the Americans' money," he said, reflecting a growing readiness among many Egyptians to express anger at Israel and the United States over Israeli treatment of the Palestinians, after decades of pragmatic official relations.

Police had fired shots in the air and teargas to disperse the crowd. Protesters had lit tyres in the street and at least two vehicles were set alight near the embassy, located on the upper floors of a residential block overlooking the Nile.

One of the three who died was in the nearby Agouza hospital, where a Reuters reporter saw a corpse with a punctured chest.

Some 500 protesters stayed after dawn and a few threw stones at police, who gradually pushed them away and secured the area.

It was the second big eruption of violence at the embassy since five Egyptian border guards were killed last month when Israel repelled cross-border raiders it said were Palestinians. Egypt then briefly threatened to withdraw its envoy to Israel.

Israel has stopped short of apologising, saying it is still investigating the Egyptian deaths, which occurred during an operation against gunmen who had killed eight Israelis.

AMBASSADOR EVACUATED

Israeli ambassador Yitzhak Levanon, staff and family members arrived home on Saturday, but one diplomat stayed in Egypt to maintain the embassy, an Israeli official said.

State television said Prime Minister Essam Sharaf headed an emergency ministerial crisis meeting and then went to see Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, who heads the military council that has ruled Egypt since Mubarak resigned on February 11.

Israel is finding itself increasingly at odds with formerly sympathetic states in the region. It is already embroiled in a feud with Turkey, once the closest of its few Muslim allies, over its treatment of the Palestinians.

Egypt's generals, under pressure to hand power to civilians more swiftly, must balance public calls for a more assertive foreign policy towards Israel with maintaining ties that bring cash and top-notch US military equipment.

Under Mubarak, Egyptians could never show such hostility to Israel without a crushing security response.

Egypt's ties with Israel, though never warm, were a pillar of Mubarak's foreign policy and buttressed his claim to be a regional mediator. Mubarak regularly met Israeli officials.

US President Barack Obama called on Egypt to "honour its international obligations" and protect the Israeli mission. He told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Washington was taking steps to resolve the situation.

An Israeli official said the ambassador, staff and family members had left in one plane and a second one had brought home six Israeli security personnel who had been left guarding the embassy, protected from the crowd only by a reinforced door until Egyptian troops extracted them.

"The fact that Egyptian authorities ultimately acted with determination is laudable. With that said, Egypt cannot let slide this harsh blow to the fabric of relations with Israel and the gross violation of international norms," Netanyahu said in a statement. He also thanked Washington for its role.

"SERIOUS STANCE"

Before attacking the embassy, protesters had tried to storm a local police compound, hurled stones at the police and set at least four vehicles and a public building ablaze.

The April 6 movement, which helped to lead the anti-Mubarak uprising, said those behind the violence were trying to "distort the image of the revolution". It blamed supporters of Mubarak.

Some politicians and activists criticised the violence, even if they backed the anti-Israel demonstration.

Presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabahy called for the army to take a "serious stance matching the public anger" towards Israel, but said violence sullied the image of Egypt's uprising.

Last month, a man scaled the embassy building, took down Israel's flag and replaced it with Egypt's. Protests continued daily but did not turn violent until the latest flare-up.

In response to the protests, the authorities had erected a wall around the building, which was quickly defaced with anti-Israel slogans and then painted in Egypt's national colours.

On Friday, the wall was torn down after a demonstration in Cairo's Tahrir Square calling for speedier reforms and a deeper purge of officials who worked for Mubarak, the former president on trial on charges including conspiring to kill protesters.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久久久久久久一次 | 97精品国产综合久久久久久欧美 | 国产一级一级 | a毛片基地免费全部香蕉 | 神马国产 | 男人把女人桶到喷白浆的视频 | 亚洲精品国产美女在线观看 | 国产成人综合精品 | 亚洲视频精品 | 欧美三级久久 | 日韩欧美视频在线一区二区 | 91精品国产91久久久久 | 成人软件18免费网站 | 成年女人毛片免费观看中文w | 日本三级香港三级人妇r | 激情午夜天 | 永久免费毛片手机版在线看 | 日本加勒比在线观看 | 高清成人爽a毛片免费网站 高清大学生毛片一级 | 国产精品黄网站免费进入 | 国产一级视频播放 | 亚洲成av人在线视 | 精品视频国产狼人视频 | 久久青草免费免费91线频观看 | 中文字幕在线成人免费看 | 免费看日韩欧美一级毛片 | 中文三 级 黄 色 片 | 日本久久99 | 中文字幕av一区二区三区 | 天天爱天天做天天爽天天躁 | 久久99精品久久久久久h | 男女朋友做爽爽爽免费视频网 | 国产精品久久久99 | 日本黄网在线观看 | 亚洲精品国产专区91在线 | 久久国产精品久久久 | 国产成人亚洲综合 | 欧美三级做爰全过程 | 三上悠亚免费一区二区在线 | 欧美大狠狠大臿蕉香蕉大视频 | 日韩一区二区久久久久久 |