久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Africa

Ferry with 500 plus passengers sinks off Tanzania

Agencies | Updated: 2011-09-10 15:48

 Ferry with 500 plus passengers sinks off Tanzania

Rescuers carry the bodies of victims from a ferry tragedy near Zanzibar Island at Nungwi Beach September 10, 2011.[Photo/Agencies]

STONE TOWN, Zanzibar - At least 107 people drowned when a ferry capsized in rough waters off east Africa as it sailed from Zanzibar to Pemba island, a doctor said on Saturday, the worst disaster in the archipelago's recent history.

Witnesses fear the death toll could rise sharply since the vessel was carrying well over 500 passengers and only 260 survivors have been found so far by fishing boats and tour operators scouring the sea since the early hours.

"We are still receiving many bodies by truck loads ... The death toll will likely be much higher," doctor Karim Zah of the Mnazi Mmoja Hospital in Zanzibar told Reuters.

Dozens of soldiers carrying bodies onto shore dotted the white sand beaches at the northern tip of Zanzibar island where thousands of people anxiously awaited news of survivors.

A stream of military trucks brought in bodies to the Maisara football grounds in Stone Town, where tens of thousands of people gathered to identify the dead.

Emergency workers covered bodies in dark blankets and placed the victims' clothes on top so relatives could identify them.

At the popular tourist destination of Nungwi, fishing boats and diving vessels ferried survivors ashore, a dozen or fewer at a time, and crowds waded waist deep in the water as the boats approached shore, desperately searching for relatives.

Zanzibar, also know as Unguja, and Pemba are the two main islands of the Zanzibar archipelago, a popular destination for tourists visiting their pristine Indian Ocean beaches.

Zanzibar is a semi-autonomous region of the east African country of Tanzania.

"The ship's manifest shows that the vessel travelling from Unguja to Pemba islands had more than 500 passengers on board," said Zanzibar Police Commissioner Mussa Alli Mussa told Reuters.

"Some 260 passengers have so far been rescued ... we have recovered several bodies but I can't give you the exact death toll at the moment because the situation is very volatile," he told Reuters.

Tour operators and local diving instructors spent the night at sea searching for survivors.

"FEARING THE WORSE"

"Many of us got here about 2.30 a.m. (2330 GMT) this morning," said Suleiman Amis, 32, who works on a local diving tour boat. "We sent out some boats to search for the survivors, but we did not find them until very, very late."

"We have friends who we know took that boat and we want to go back out to find them as soon as possible," he told Reuters.

Pemba is about 40 km (25 miles) from Zanzibar. Passengers who regularly take ferries between the two islands said the vessels are in a poor state of repair and are often overcrowded and loaded with cargo.

Abdual Said, registrar of Zanzibar's seafaring vessels, told Reuters the capsized ferry, MV Spice, was licensed to carry 600 passengers.

"They normally pack us in like sardines in a can. And for that I really fear this could be a very big disaster," said resident Mwnakhamis Juma.

The government in Zanzibar said last month it planned to invest in bigger, more reliable vessels to ferry passengers between the two islands. Zanzibar's cabinet was meeting on Saturday in response to the disaster.

"We are fearing the greatest calamity in the history of Zanzibar. This is a disaster," said a government official, who declined to be named.

Two small overloaded boats capsized and were swept away in high seas off Tanzania's coast in January this year and in May 2009, a vessel just off Zanzibar sank with dozens aboard, killing six.

Police commissioner Mussa said rescue workers with the aid of some fishing boats in the area were helping to rescue more passengers and recover bodies to bring them to Zanzibar's main town for post-mortems and identification.

"Because of strong ocean winds, some of the bodies could even be washed up in Tanga (mainland Tanzania)," he said. "The cause of the accident cannot be confirmed at the moment."

A parent in Mkoani on Pemba island was already mourning his three children, who were aboard the capsized ferry.

"I had two sons and a daughter coming back to Pemba from a school holiday break ... and I am fearing for the worse," said Juma Bakar.

 

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国内精品久久久久久久久久影视 | 美女亚洲综合 | 最新亚洲一区二区三区四区 | 99精品久久精品一区二区 | 国产年成美女网站视频免费看 | 一级做a爰全过程免费视频毛片 | 亚洲深夜 | 成 人免费视频l免费观看 | 成人永久免费视频网站在线观看 | 色综合亚洲七七久久桃花影院 | 国产一区二区三区免费 | 深夜福利视频在线观看 | 不卡精品国产_亚洲人成在线 | 日本在线观看一级高清片 | 日韩成人免费一级毛片 | 国产在线观看网址你懂得 | 狠狠色噜噜狠狠狠米奇9999 | 国产精亚洲视频 | 韩国毛片视频 | 国产精品美女久久久久网站 | 国产精品成人观看视频网站 | 99视频在线国产 | 成年人免费看视频 | 亚洲国产精品一区二区三区久久 | 国产欧美日韩精品一区二区三区 | 亚洲欧美另类色妞网站 | 亚洲视频播放 | 国产成人精品综合久久久软件 | 美女张开腿让人桶 | jiucao在线观看精品 | 中文字幕乱 | 最新中文字幕一区二区乱码 | 猛操美女 | 女性无套免费网站在线看 | 欧美日韩视频一区二区在线观看 | 国产91丝袜美腿在线观看 | 成人黄色免费网站 | 黄色一级a毛片 | 怡红院在线观看在线视频 | 久久国产精品影院 | 亚洲欧美一级久久精品 |