久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Asia-Pacific

Manila to apologize for fisherman's death

By ZHAO SHENGNAN and PU ZHENDONG | China Daily | Updated: 2013-05-15 01:50

The Philippines on Tuesday agreed to apologize for the fatal shooting last week of a fisherman from Taiwan by Filipino coast guard officers.

The agreement was announced hours before an ultimatum from Taiwan for an apology was due to expire at midnight.

Manila to apologize for fisherman's death

Demonstrators protest near the Philippine consulate in Hong Kong on Tuesday. A Taiwan fisherman was killed by the Philippine Coast Guard on Thursday. TYRONE SIU / REUTERS

Manila agreed to apologize, clarify the truth, punish those held responsible and start early negotiations with Taiwan on a fishery agreement.

But it has not officially agreed to pay compensation for the incident, in which coast guards killed a 65-year-old fisherman on Thursday, Taiwan media reported.

Reports said the Philippines will send Amadeo Perez, chairman and chief executive officer of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office, as an envoy to Taiwan on Wednesday to make a promise on compensation and to visit the victim's family.

Observers said the deal, in which Manila acknowledges its mistakes, can largely satisfy Taiwan's demands and ease public outrage on the island.

On Saturday, Taipei issued a 72-hour ultimatum to the Philippines to make an official apology, or face sanctions including a freeze on sending Filipino workers to the island.

There are about 87,000 Filipino domestic helpers and other workers in Taiwan, who send home hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Taiwan also sent four coast guard and naval vessels to protect its fishermen in waters near the Philippines at the weekend.

It is unclear whether Taiwan will still conduct a naval drill in the waters where Hung Shih-cheng, skipper of the 15-metric-ton Guang Ta Hsin 28 was shot dead. Taiwan authorities said earlier on Tuesday the decision would depend on the reaction of the Philippine government.

Yang Baoyun, an expert on Southeast Asian studies at Peking University, said the possibility of Taipei staging the exercise still exists, but the scale and intensity might be reduced.

"Under the new circumstances, the military exercise could take the form of routine maritime patrols to account for heightened public sentiment, to better protect fishermen and to further deter the Philippine side," Yang said.

Beijing on Tuesday voiced support for Taiwan, saying it has always firmly safeguarded Taiwan compatriots' security and legitimate rights, Xinhua News Agency reported.

Manila to apologize for fisherman's death"We hope the Philippines will conduct a thorough investigation into the incident and provide a concrete explanation at an early date," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said at a regular news conference.

On Friday, the Philippine Coast Guard admitted the shooting, which left more than 50 bullet holes in the fishing vessel, but insisted it happened within its own waters.

This claim was denied by the victim's son, who was with his father and two other fishermen on the boat at the time, as well as by Taiwan authorities who said the incident happened in an overlapping area of the two sides' exclusive economic zones.

Luo Yuan, deputy secretary-general of the China Military Science Society of the Chinese People's Liberation Army, said the Philippines brutally violated international law.

On Monday, Washington urged all sides "to refrain from provocative actions", while Philippine President Benigno Aquino called for calm, and guaranteed an in-depth investigation into the incident.

On Sunday, Antonio Basilio, resident representative of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office in Taiwan, visited the victim‘s family, and "extended condolences and apologies".

But Taiwan was not satisfied with these actions. Hundreds of fishermen burned Philippine flags, and hurled eggs at the Manila Economic and Cultural Office in Taipei on Monday.

Li Guoqiang, deputy director of the Center for Chinese Borderland History and Geography at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said Manila's response came late, as it was stuck in an "awkward situation".

"The Philippines believed the incident area was within its own territory, so answering Taipei's requests means a retreat from its previous territorial claims; but Manila cannot stay silent as well."

Li also said Manila had tried to play down the incident but strong reactions from Beijing and Taipei made this attempt difficult.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产女乱淫真高清免费视频 | 久久成| 中文字幕久久久 | 久草在线视频免费看 | 日韩 综合 | www.黄色com| 日韩一区二区三区在线 | 日本韩国三级在线 | 九九免费精品视频在这里 | 国产精品国产国产aⅴ | 久草视频中文在线 | 日韩欧美一区二区三区不卡在线 | 亚洲精品免费视频 | 亚洲图片视频在线观看 | 日韩无砖专区体验区 | 91撸视频 | 男女免费在线视频 | 国产激情久久久久久影院 | 欧美在线高清视频播放免费 | 97国产在线视频公开免费 | 老司机亚洲精品影院 | 欧美叫床戏做爰无遮挡 | 自拍视频在线观看 | 国产欧美一区二区三区在线看 | 成人欧美精品大91在线 | 亚洲不卡视频在线观看 | 美女被躁爽死 | 国产三级精品最新在线 | 久久福利青草狠狠午夜 | 天天狠操| 国产精品久久在线观看 | 日本在线免费播放 | 白云精品视频国产专区 | 在线观看日本视频免费 | 国产美女在线精品观看 | 美国一级毛片片aa久久综合 | 99久久香蕉国产线看观香 | 性色a v 一区 | 色综合夜夜嗨亚洲一二区 | 亚洲第一大网站 | 国产在线观看xxxx免费 |