久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Middle East

Kerry: Syria chemical arms use 'obscenity'

Agencies | Updated: 2013-08-27 06:33

Kerry: Syria chemical arms use 'obscenity'

United States Secretary of State John Kerry addresses the media on the Syrian situation in Washington August 26, 2013. UN investigators took blood samples today from victims of an apparent poison gas attack that occurred on Wednesday in a rebel-held suburb of Damascus. [Photo/Agencies]

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State John Kerry on Monday outlined the clearest justification yet for US military action in Syria, saying there was "undeniable" evidence of a large-scale chemical weapons attack, with intelligence strongly signaling that Bashar Assad's regime was responsible.

Kerry, speaking to reporters at the State Department, said last week's attack "should shock the conscience" of the world.

"The indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity. By any standard, it is inexcusable and — despite the excuses and equivocations that some have manufactured — it is undeniable," said Kerry, the highest-ranking US official to confirm the attack in the Damascus suburbs that activists say killed hundreds of people.

"This international norm cannot be violated without consequences," he added.

Officials said President Barack Obama has not decided how to respond to the use of deadly gases, a move the White House said last year would cross a "red line." But the US, along with allies in Europe, appeared to be laying the groundwork for the most aggressive response since Syria's civil war began more than two years ago.

Two administration officials said the US was expected to make public a more formal determination of chemical weapons use on Tuesday, with an announcement of Obama's response likely to follow quickly. The officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the internal deliberations.

The international community appeared to be considering action that would punish Assad for deploying deadly gases, not sweeping measures aimed at ousting the Syrian leader or strengthening rebel forces. The focus of the internal debate underscores the scant international appetite for a large-scale deployment of forces in Syria and the limited number of other options that could significantly change the trajectory of the conflict.

"We continue to believe that there's no military solution here that's good for the Syrian people, and that the best path forward is a political solution," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said. "This is about the violation of an international norm against the use of chemical weapons and how we should respond to that. "

The Obama administration was moving ahead even as a United Nations team already on the ground in Syria collected evidence from last week's attack. The US said Syria's delay in giving the inspectors access rendered their investigation meaningless and officials said the administration had its own intelligence confirming chemical weapons use.

"What is before us today is real and it is compelling," Kerry said. "Our understanding of what has already happened in Syria is grounded in facts."

The US assessment is based in part on the number of reported victims, the symptoms of those injured or killed and witness accounts. Administration officials said the US had additional intelligence confirming chemical weapons use and planned to make it public in the coming days.

Officials stopped short of unequivocally stating that Assad's government was behind the attack. But they said there was "very little doubt" that it originated with the regime, noting that Syria's rebel forces do not appear to have access to the country's chemical weapons stockpile.

Previous 1 2 3 Next

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 中文字幕欧美一区 | 久久九九免费视频 | 亚洲欧美一区二区三区在线播放 | 亚洲国产二区三区久久 | 99国产精品免费视频观看 | 99视频精品全部 在线 | 国产人成精品综合欧美成人 | 久久国产经典视频 | 日本乱人伦片中文三区 | 久久久久久尹人网香蕉 | 欧美a一片xxxx片| 国产视频手机在线 | 日韩精品欧美国产精品亚 | 一本久久精品一区二区 | 夜精品a一区二区三区 | 日韩美女一级毛片a | 亚洲国产精品网站久久 | avtom影院入口永久在线 | 成人爱爱网站在线观看 | 青草欧美 | 亚洲成人黄色片 | 九九国产精品视频 | 成人97 | 怡红院老首页主页入口 | 亚洲欧美日韩在线播放 | 亚洲tv成人天堂在线播放 | 欧美三级免费 | 亚洲精品国产成人 | 九九九精品视频 | 国产男女免费完整视频 | 男人的天堂视频在线观看 | 狠狠色丁香九九婷婷综合五月 | 永久免费毛片手机版在线看 | 97在线观看完整免费 | 精品国产香蕉伊思人在线 | 国产午夜a理论毛片在线影院 | 午夜三级a三级三点在线观看 | 国产黄色美女 | baoyu121永久免费网站 | 亚欧美图片自偷自拍另类 | 在线观看欧洲成人免费视频 |