久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
World / Middle East

Ceasefire agreed in Lebanese border town battle

(Agencies) Updated: 2014-08-06 10:30

Ceasefire agreed in Lebanese border town battle

Lebanese army soldiers on armoured carriers and military vehilces advance towards the Sunni Muslim border town of Arsal, in eastern Bekaa Valley as part of reinforcements on August 5, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]

BEIRUT - A 24-hour ceasefire was agreed on Tuesday to halt fighting between the Lebanese army and Islamist militants who seized a border town at the weekend, in the most serious spillover of Syria's three-year civil war into Lebanon.

A security source said the ceasefire, which came into force at 7 p.m. (1600 GMT), aimed to allow time for a mediator to investigate the fate of 22 soldiers missing since the militants seized the town of Arsal on Saturday. Sunni Muslim clerics have been pursuing peacekeeping efforts.

"This time will also be used to evacuate civilians who were wounded or who need help. It is like a humanitarian ceasefire," the security source told Reuters.

A Syrian activist in the town said the shelling had stopped, telling Reuters: "There is an uneasy calm."

But a cleric in Arsal said the clashes had stopped but that sounds of occasional bombardment could still be heard.

The militants have been identified by officials as members of the Nusra Front, al Qaeda's branch in Syria, and of the Islamic State, which has seized large areas of Iraq and Syria.

Rebel sources told Reuters several members of the Islamic State had been killed in the Arsal fighting, including senior leader Abu Hassan al-Homsi, who had been in charge of setting up booby traps and explosions. Another leader of Jordanian origin was also killed in the fighting, the rebel sources said.

At least 16 Lebanese soldiers have been killed in the last few days of violence in and around Arsal, though there has been no sign of the conflict spreading to other border towns.

It is unclear how many militants and civilians have been killed, though death tolls given by security officials and a doctor indicate it is in the dozens.

POLICEMEN RELEASED

Earlier on Tuesday, the Islamists released three policemen they had been holding, in what one militant described as a goodwill gesture in response to a mediation by Sunni clerics from the Muslim Clerics' Association.

The militants in Arsal told the clerics they were willing to withdraw if the army agreed to return only to man checkpoints outside Arsal and not to enter the town itself.

A Lebanese political source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the army aimed to retake the hills around Arsal.

"It is not proposed for it to take the battle to the heart of the town," the political source said.

The clashes in Arsal began on Saturday after security forces arrested an Islamist commander popular with local rebels who often move across the porous border with Syria. Soon after the arrest, gunmen attacked local security forces.

Lebanon - a country of about 4 million, bordering Israel - has avoided the kind of war afflicting Syria and Iraq, but regional conflicts have rekindled decades-old tensions.

Some Sunni Muslims joined Syrian rebels and the powerful Shi'ite group Hezbollah has sent fighters to aid President Bashar al-Assad, an Alawite, who also has the backing of Iran.

Hezbollah denied it was involved in the battles in Arsal.

"Confronting the terrorist gunmen is the responsibility of the Lebanese Army solely. Hezbollah did not intervene in what happened or is happening in Arsal," it said in a statement.

Rocket fire, suicide attacks and gunbattles connected to Syria's war have plagued Lebanon and the conflict has worsened Lebanon's perennial political deadlock between officials divided largely along sectarian lines.

In the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli, which has seen frequent clashes between local Sunnis and members of the Shi'ite-derived Alawite minority, men blocked several roads on Tuesday. Most shops were shut and streets empty after militants opened fire on a bus carrying soldiers, wounding at least six.

More than 170,000 people have been killed in Syria's war, which started in 2011 as a peaceful protest movement, then degenerated into civil war after a government crackdown.

Syrian activists and medics in Arsal say fighting has badly damaged the camps that are home to many of the tens of thousands of Syrian refugees estimated to live in and around the town.

"The situation is bad. Families are blockaded inside the city. Refugees are on the streets. There is a severe shortage of bread. The medical situation is very bad," a Syrian witness told Reuters in a text message.

Ceasefire agreed in Lebanese border town battle Ceasefire agreed in Lebanese border town battle
Lebanese army battles Syrian militants  Calm restores in Gaza amid 72-hour ceasefire 

Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next Page

Trudeau visits Sina Weibo
May gets little gasp as EU extends deadline for sufficient progress in Brexit talks
Ethiopian FM urges strengthened Ethiopia-China ties
Yemen's ex-president Saleh, relatives killed by Houthis
Most Popular
Hot Topics

...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 伊人22综合 | 日韩欧美在线观看视频 | 久久国产视频一区 | 免费的a级毛片 | 中文字幕中文字幕中中文 | 国产一级视频在线观看 | 欧洲乱码伦视频免费 | 国产免费怡红院视频 | 在线欧美视频 | 成人三级网址 | 一级做a爱过程免费视频麻豆 | 久久成人a毛片免费观看网站 | 国产男女免费完整视频 | 美国一级大黄香蕉片 | 欧美成人a人片 | 国产福利一区二区在线精品 | 国产大臿蕉香蕉大视频女 | 久久99视频免费 | 黄色美女视频免费看 | 国产免费久久精品久久久 | 99久久99视频 | 手机在线毛片 | 久久综合久久美利坚合众国 | 精品久久久久久久久久中文字幕 | 中国老妇色xxxxx | 国产亚洲精品九九久在线观看 | 免费在线观看一区二区 | 天天看片天天爽 | 亚洲欧美精品一区天堂久久 | 91无套极品外围在线播放 | 一本大道香蕉大vr在线吗视频 | 青青青免费手机版视频在线观看 | 亚洲国产成人精品区 | a级毛片无码免费真人 | 日韩欧美理论片 | 91寡妇天天综合久久影院 | 午夜在线精品不卡国产 | 69av美女| 午夜丝袜美腿福利视频在线看 | 男女福利视频 | 亚洲美女一级片 |