久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

US EUROPE AFRICA ASIA 中文
World / Latin America

Drug cartel battle kills 49 in northeastern Mexican prison

(Agencies) Updated: 2016-02-12 08:04

Drug cartel battle kills 49 in northeastern Mexican prison

A family member of an inmate reacts while standing with others outside the Topo Chico prison in Monterrey, Mexico, February 11, 2016. [Photo/Agencies] 

MONTERREY, Mexico - A battle between the feared Zetas drug cartel and rivals at a prison left 49 people dead in the northeastern Mexican city of Monterrey, authorities said on Thursday, days ahead of a planned visit by Pope Francis to another jail in Mexico's far north.

The incident was one of the worst in a series of deadly riots in recent years to rock the country's overpopulated prisons, some of which are largely controlled by cartels.

Fighting broke out before midnight in two areas of the Topo Chico prison between supporters of a gang leader known as "Zeta 27" and another group, with prisoners using bottles and blades, Nuevo Leon state Governor Jaime Rodriguez said.

"Topo Chico is a ... very old prison. A prison with very difficult security conditions," said Rodriguez, who described the state's prison system as a "time bomb" that needed to be defused. Rodriguez himself survived two assassination attempts while opposing drug cartels as mayor of a suburb of Monterrey, Mexico's third most populous metropolitan area and home to many of the country's largest corporations.

A 2014 human rights report faulted Topo Chico for not preventing violent incidents. The prison has long housed members of the Zetas, known for extreme violence. One Zetas leader was stabbed to death there in September.

Authorities revised down their initial death toll from 52, out of a total of about 3,500 prisoners.

One victim died from gunfire, while the rest were killed from a combination of knives and other objects like bottles and chairs. Flames licked the night sky after inmates set light to food storage areas.

Milenio TV reported that inmates' relatives who had been within the prison's premises for conjugal visits had seen inmates with burns. Twelve people were injured, five seriously, the state government said.

Speaking to local radio, Rodriguez acknowledged the public perception that the Zetas dominated the facility and said the prison system was one of his principal concerns.

"The problem is they have people like my brother living with narcos," said an angry relative of an inmate doing time for robbery, waiting for names of the victims at the prison gates.

Rodriguez said 40 victims had been identified so far. The names of Zeta 27 and a rival known as El Credo were not among a list of 20 names released by state government.

Rodriguez said the fighting had been brought under control at about 1:30 a.m. (0730 GMT) on Thursday and ruled out a prison break, adding no women or children were hurt. Worried family members at one point forced open the prison gates and threw timber and stones at riot police inside, television images showed.

Authorities are transfering inmates out of the prison to bring down the population, with 60 people set to be moved on Thursday.

Pope Francis is set to begin his first visit to Mexico as pontiff on Friday. Next week, he will visit a prison in border city Ciudad Juarez, once one of the world's most violent cities.

Both Monterrey and Ciudad Juarez are more peaceful than at the peak of the war between rival cartels for control of routes to nearby Texas.

For much of the last decade, the Zetas spread terror across Mexico before being debilitated by arrests and deaths of their founding members.

Juan Pedro Saldivar Farias, or Zeta 27, has been mentioned in local media as a suspect in the 2010 murder of US citizen David Hartley.

Thursday's riot was a blow to Nuevo Leon, where many were uplifted when Rodriguez, a blunt, outspoken rancher with a penchant for cowboy hats known as "El Bronco," or "the gruff one," defeated President Enrique Pena Nieto's ruling party last year, becoming Mexico's first independent candidate to win a governorship.

In 2012, at least 44 inmates died in another Nuevo Leon prison when members of the Zetas plotted with prison guards to stage an elaborate escape.

Trudeau visits Sina Weibo
May gets little gasp as EU extends deadline for sufficient progress in Brexit talks
Ethiopian FM urges strengthened Ethiopia-China ties
Yemen's ex-president Saleh, relatives killed by Houthis
Most Popular
Hot Topics

...
主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美一区亚洲二区 | 一级做a爰片性色毛片小说 一级做a爰片性色毛片中国 | 亚洲精品久久99久久 | 精品欧美成人高清视频在线观看 | 欧美国产精品一区二区免费 | 久色免费视频 | 精品成人免费一区二区在线播放 | 亚洲国产国产综合一区首页 | 国产一区二区三区高清视频 | 精品成人免费一区二区在线播放 | 免费看a级片 | 一区二区三区高清不卡 | 成人久久18免费游戏网站 | 欧美三级在线观看不卡视频 | 国产成人十八黄网片 | 国产精品久久久久国产精品 | 亚洲精品自产拍在线观看 | 韩日毛片| 一级毛片不卡免费看老司机 | 日本三级香港三级少妇 | 性视频亚洲| 国产性做久久久久久 | 亚洲国产最新在线一区二区 | 日本一区二区不卡视频 | 女高中生被cao到哭视频 | 人成精品视频三区二区一区 | 久久国产精品成人免费 | 欧美3p精品三区 | 萌白酱香蕉白丝护士服喷浆 | 手机看片在线精品观看 | 欧美8888| 91亚洲精品一区二区福利 | 一级片网址| 久久99热只有视精品6国产 | 黄色网址在线免费观看 | 欧美日韩综合高清一区二区 | 国产高颜值露脸在线观看 | xxxww在线播放 | 欧美巨大另类极品videohd | 视频一区二区三区自拍 | 国产免费成人在线视频 |