久久亚洲国产成人影院-久久亚洲国产的中文-久久亚洲国产高清-久久亚洲国产精品-亚洲图片偷拍自拍-亚洲图色视频

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Europe

Grief turns to anger as people seek answers for deadly fire in London

Xinhua | Updated: 2017-06-16 09:36

Grief turns to anger as people seek answers for deadly fire in London

A man looks at messages written on a wall near the scene of the fire which destroyed the Grenfell Tower block, in north Kensington, west London, Britain June 15, 2017. [Photo/Agencies]

LONDON - As rescue teams continued the grim task Thursday of searching the burnt out shell of a London tower block, British Prime Minister Theresa May ordered a full public inquiry into the tragic Grenfell Tower fire.

Her decision came as politicians, community leaders and residents asked a simple question: "How in the 21st century can people perish in their own homes in one of the wealthiest boroughs in Britain?"

The growing number of questions being raised is seeing grief and disbelief turn to anger.

So far it has been confirmed that 17 people died when fire rapidly engulfed a 24-floor residential tower where between 400 and 600 people lived.

With many dozens of people still accounted for, people have been told to brace themselves for the death toll to rise.

To add to the grim reality facing people clinging onto hope a missing loved family member will be found alive, London Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said there is a risk authorities may not be able to identify everybody.

Cundy said identifying victims will be very challenging and police will use international disaster victim protocols which include dental records, fingerprints and DNA.

"I really hope the number of fatalities does not reach triple figures," Cundy said.

Thirty people remain in hospital, half of them said to have critical injuries.

In her statement May said: "We need to know what happened, we need to have an explanation of this. We owe that to the families, to the people who have lost loved ones, friends, and the homes in which they lived."

Earlier May visited the scene of the disaster in the London borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

The first victim of the tragedy was named Thursday by the Syria Solidarity Campaign as Syrian refugee Mohammed Alhajali.

Alhajali was with his older brother, Omar, in the flat but lost each other on the way out, says the Syria Solidarity Campaign. The campaign group said Alhajali's brother was rescued by fire crews.

A spokesman at the campaign group posted: "Mohammed was on the phone for two hours with a friend in Syria, waiting to be rescued. He was trying to reach his family in Syria but he could not get connected to them due to the situation in Syria. He had not seen his family for four years.

"When the fire reached his flat on the 14th floor, Mohammed bid his friend goodbye, saying that the fire had reached him. He asked his friend to pass on the message to his family.

"Mohammed undertook a dangerous journey to flee war and death in Syria, only to meet it here in the UK, in his own home. Mohammed came to this country for safety and the UK failed to protect him."

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London Thursday called for an interim report into the Grenfell Tower fire to be published within weeks, saying: there are questions that demand answers. We can't afford to wait many years for those answers."

Khan said one of the things the public inquiry will look into is the refurbishment of the tower blocks and whether the tower block was refurbished in a safe way. There are obvious questions about value for money and other questions that will be raised and other questions that demand answers."

The main opposition leader, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn, visited the housing scheme Thursday and spoke to local residents about the Grenfell Tower fire.

He said later: "We must and will do everything in our power to ensure the truth about this tragedy comes out. I feel very angry that it was possible for the fire to spread in the way it did. I feel very angry that so many lives have been lost when the system didn't work. The many residents I met today are very angry too; their concerns about the building were not responded to and their questions were not answered.

"There are thousands of tower blocks around our country. Every single person living in one today will be frightened. They need answers to provide them with security and peace of mind."

Emergency accommodation has been found for families made homeless by the blaze, with a huge community relief effort to meet the needs of people who lost everything in the fire.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said Thursday the search of Grenfell Tower will be a "very long process".

At a media briefing, she said parts of the building needed structural support to allow a search. Specially trained dogs are being used to help in the search and recovery operation.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 99在线国产视频 | 美女黄视频免费观看 | 一区二区三区精品国产欧美 | 精品日韩一区二区三区视频 | 在线观看免费av网 | 日韩精品视频美在线精品视频 | 亚洲美女影院 | 国产日韩欧美精品 | 全免费毛片在线播放 | 一级女性黄 色生活片 | 亚洲成年| 美女三级在线 | 国产只有精品 | 国产九九在线观看播放 | 国产女乱淫真高清免费视频 | 中文字幕 亚洲一区 | 成人五级毛片免费播放 | 国产精品亚洲片在线不卡 | 91成人在线免费视频 | 亚洲国产欧美在线人成精品一区二区 | 日本国产精品 | 韩国免费a级毛片 | 久久免费大片 | 美女做爰视频在线观看免费 | 欧美一级特黄视频 | 亚洲在线日韩 | 亚洲综合91社区精品福利 | 麻豆19禁国产青草精品 | 高清毛片aaaaaaaaa片 | 蝴蝶成人世界第八影院 | 成年人在线观看网站 | 欧美成人二区 | 久久 在线| 一级片视频在线 | 99久久99这里只有免费费精品 | 精品国产高清久久久久久小说 | 午夜天堂视频 | 免费看一级毛片欧美 | 亚洲国产欧美国产综合一区 | 欧美jizzhd精品欧美另类 | 国产激情视频在线播放 |